Right now, over 100 wildfires are raging across the Arctic Circle, from Greenland to Siberia to Alaska. Heat waves across the Arctic are leading to a rapid meltdown and increase in wildfires.
Global Catholic Climate Movement (GCCM) says: This Season of Creation – from September 1 to October 4th – is an opportunity to wake up the world – for each of us to become beacons of hope and inspiration for a better future. Together, we have the power to ignite a bold global cry for climate justice, and there couldn’t be a more important time for that action.
You can play your part in a myriad of ways:
• Pray for and support those who take action to protect our Common Home.
• Organise or encourage others to organise a Prayer Service to celebrate the beauty of our world.
• Promote the Season of Creation through an e-mail/ a phone call to family/friends/parishioners/colleagues.
• Take time to notice the flowers and the colours in your local park/garden/hedgerow and give thanks to our magnificent Creator God.
• Circulate the following websites which offer lots of information and resources for the Season of Creation:
o Global Catholic Climate Movement (website here)
o Catholic Agency for Overseas Development (CAFOD) (website here)
CAFOD reminds us: Pope Francis established 1 September as the World Day of Prayer for the Care of Creation, encouraging the Catholic community around the world to pray for our common home…..and to care for our shared Earth.
He calls us all to celebrate this opportune moment to “reaffirm [our] personal vocation to be stewards of creation, to thank God for the wonderful handiwork which he has entrusted to our care.
If you organise an event/service (big/small) GCCM would be delighted if you register it on their Season of Creation website (click here).
As Pope Francis reminds us: we can only come out of this situation together, with humanity as a whole. Are we ready to take the next step?
Enjoy a blessed Season of Creation.